Floating Roof Tank Monitoring (FRTM) System
Which floating roof tank is protected? Which isn’t?
The GroundGuardian® Active Floating Roof Tank Monitoring System, developed by ALLTEC, alerts you to resistance changes in your roof-to-shell bond, helps maintain a safe work environment and reduces risks.
Review our general ALLTEC Oil & Gas Application Map for a better understanding where we suggest adding GroundGuardian® to safeguard your equipment and facility.
How it Works
The GroundGuardian® Monitor/Alarm is of flame-proof/explosion-proof metal construction suitable for installation in the hazardous environment of your External Floating Roof Tank (EFRT). From the Monitor/Alarm’s Intrinsically Safe (IS) rated subsystem, current is passed to the Remote I/O Enclosure, which is rated for installation on the storage tank shell wall.
The Remote I/O Enclosure is attached to a self-retracting insulated Monitoring Reel with a bond to the tank’s floating roof, and to the EFRT’s earthing/grounding system. During conditions of less than 10 Ohm resistance, a steady green light will flash on the monitor’s front panel display.
The GroundGuardian® continuously monitors the established ground loop for dangerous deviation in the bond resistance between the floating roof and the EFRT ground, commonly caused by corrosion, wax & sludge accumulation, shunt breakage or theft.
When resistance exceeds 10 Ohms the GroundGuardian initiates an alarm state; two Dry Relay Contacts change state and the Red LED alarm on the front panel display lights up.
DRY RELAY CONTACT (DRC) COMPATIBILITY
The GroundGuardian® DRCs can be used by the facility’s Process Control monitoring system to:
- Initiate External Alarms
- Activate Product Transfer Interlocks
- Update Time/Date Stamp Records
- Trigger Lightning Protection Bonding Inspection/Maintenance
- NEC/CEC: Class I, Groups B, C & D, Type 3 & 4, Class II, Groups E, F & G, and Class III Hazardous Locations
- ATEX: Zone 1
- Environmental certification CEI/IEC Part 2,Severity 2 per ATSM BB117-11
The innovative safety technology behind the GroundGuardian Floating Roof Tank Monitoring System was recently featured in an issue of the Process Engineering Control and Maintenance Magazine.
At any given time, there are 2,000 thunderstorms around the world, producing 44 lightning flashes per second. That equates to 158,400 flashes per hour, or 1.4 billion per year, and some sources suggest twice that number of strikes occur. Land masses near the equator receive the most lightning, but lightning may strike almost anywhere.
The GroundGuardian® offers you “CONSTANT SECURITY”.
The GroundGuardian® system uses patented, innovative active monitoring technology to detect any change in resistance of the electrical bond between a floating roof and the storage tank’s grounding system.
Features & Benefits
- Uses patented pending, innovative active monitoring technology to detect any change in resistance of the electrical bond between a floating roof and the storage tank’s grounding system
- The GroundGuardian® continuously monitors the established ground loop for dangerous deviation in the bond resistance between the floating roof and the External Floating Roof Tank (EFRT)’s grounded shell, commonly caused by corrosion, wax accumulation, or shunt breakagex