Early Streamer Emission Terminals
Extensive research has allowed ALLTEC to create a lightweight, low wind loading Early Streamer Emitter system to provide a safe and efficient manner of controlling dangerous lightning energy before it damages a structure or its important contents.
The TerraStreamer ESE terminal initiates the upward connecting streamer earlier in time than a traditional lightning air terminal, thus extending the effective range of protection over and above that of conventional lightning air terminals. By utilizing this advanced technology, TerraStreamer ESEs provide lightning protection to facilities that would otherwise be difficult or cost prohibitive to protect by conventional means.
The ESE Principle
The principle of operation for ESE terminals is to create an upward propagating streamer earlier than conventional air terminals or other objects on the earth. TerraStreamer does this by collecting and storing ground charge during the initial phase of a thunderstorm development.
- Thunderstorm begins creating downward step leaders
- Ambient electric field intensity in the area of the ESE terminal increases
- Terminal is triggered to release the stored ground charge
- Upward streamer is formed microseconds earlier than other objects in the immediate area
- The TerraStreamer ESE terminal becomes the target of the developing lightning strike
The selection of the TerraStreamer model, placement, and mounting height above the protected area all factor into formulas calculating the dimensions of the protection area.
The installation of a TerraStreamer ESE Terminal combines the best advantages of two systems: the direct path to ground of a conventional lightning protection system, and state-of-the-art ESE technology employed in the TerraStreamer’s patented design. TerraStreamer terminals are:
- Externally mounted, proactive, structural lightning protection devices
- Designed to activate in the moments directly preceding an imminent, direct strike
- Tested to certify gain in triggering time (ΔT) as per NF C 17-102 and UNE 21 186
- Designed to ensure that the system provides a secure zone of protection
The standard protection radius Rp of the TerraStreamer is linked (according to NF C 17-102 standard) to ΔT, to the protection levels I, II, III, or IV and to the height of the TerraStreamer above the protected structure (h, defined by NF C 17-102 as a minimum of 2 m). The NF C 17-102 standard includes four levels of protection.
How it Works
The TerraStreamer® ESE Terminals are externally mounted, proactive, structural lightning protection devices and are designed to activate in the moments directly preceding an imminent direct strike. The installation of a TerraStreamer® ESE Terminal combines the best advantages of two systems: the direct path to ground of a conventional lightning protection system, and state-of-the-art ESE technology employed in the TerraStreamer®‘s patented technology. These combined advantages ensure that the TerraStreamer® ESE System provides a secure zone of protection.
TerraStreamer® ESEs are made of non-corroding materials, utilize advanced and maintenance-free technologies, maintain a 5-year replacement warranty, and are independently tested and certified to NF C 17-102 and UNE 21 186 standards. TerraStreamer® products complete the ALLTEC Protection Pyramid™ by capturing dangerous lightning discharges and safely channeling them to earth.
Features & Benefits
- Patented Technology
- NF C 17 – 102 and UNE 21 186 tested and certified
- Lightweight and low wind loading
- Reliable performance in all weather conditions
- Suitable for corrosive environments
- Available in five models for numerous applications
- Economical and easy to install
- No internal electronics or power supply
- Maintenance free
- Distribution Warehouses
- Industrial Plants
- Apartment Buildings
- Shopping Malls
- Shipping Terminals
- Other Large Area Structures